Our current ConLib government appears to have been smoking ju-ju grass again after creating a fund which will indemnify a 95% mortgage as long as the house is a new build from one of a range of accredited agents including the likely lads otherwise known as Persimmon. After spending a few moments with the matter a number of minor flaws leapt out and cudgelled some unsuspecting innocent bystanders…
It might be valid to say that I spent a great deal of my teens and twenties obsessed with music. During this time I’ve had the great fortune to fall into discoveries that formatted my brain to make it a much more interesting engine than perhaps it would have been without the exposure. There was something alien about music growing up which turned it into a puzzle I had to solve (I had an idea as a teen of using a computer to automatically generate Stock-Aitken and Waterman singles, without the wherewithal to accomplish it, which in hindsight is probably a good thing…) My dad brought one of these bad boys, the Music 5000 system for the BBC Model B, home from work, and at the time it was like seeing the future delivered on a golden chariot to your front door. One of the great regrets of my life was not being able to really play with it to record anything, I was too young at the time to even begin to understand what could be done with it. Years later my degree choice was to some extent a sublimated desire to recreate something I’d encountered as a child, and drove me to a lifetime of interfacing with machines to pull some meaningful output from the experience.
Like most programmers I have a workflow that allows me to type code at one end, and a seamless, bugfree application will pop out of the other ;). Some part of the workflow invariably involves the use of Source Control Software, which at a minimum allows me to store away a versioned list of work so if something untoward should happen to my workstation my code and resources are at least retrievable in one form or another.
Over the years I have used many Source Control systems, the most recent CVS/SVN, and have issues with most of them (a subject of another blog…) but in 2010 a tool forced its way into my workflow… Mercurial (Hg). This is part one of my adventure in getting this running on windows.
My broken website has been taunting me like the unloved child of a mucus ridden tar fairy for some time now. Finally, after realising that I am unlikely to have the energy to give the site my full attention, I decided upon a course of action. Where once was a database and code fashioned from my hands containing effluvial mind ramblings made withered by time, now sits a shiny new 3rd party blog site ready to accept the various ejecta pulled from the wrinkled grey matter riding around in this human’s skull.
Whilst typing this, I’m sitting in the accreted shell of a twenty something’s journey through various musical and computing experiments, with strange etchings looming over me insisting on completion. A list sits ready, and since there is no time like the present, it looks like something to enumerate and accomplish:
- Complete first issue of “FastFoodCyberNation” comic.
- Complete iPhone Rhythm Action proof-of-concept.
- Complete Newton Scale iPhone app.
- Complete ShapeJam iPhone/iPad app.
- Complete editing and animation on “Sorry”.
- Learn Russian.
- Complete reading Sci-Fi Masterworks series.
- Get Black Belt in JKD.
- Complete DVD and Vinyl back-up (my procrastination task for the previous 6 months…)
This is my TaskFactory class for life, as an exercise I want to see how many of these I can drill through before the end of the year.